[lfs-support] 8.1-systemd Ch. 8.3 Linux-4.12.7: Error during make?

DJ Lucas blfs-dev at lucasit.com
Mon Sep 18 22:10:53 PDT 2017

On 09/18/2017 11:43 PM, Hans Malissa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m working my way through LFS 8.1-systemd. I got all the way to 8.3.1 Linux-4.12.7 without any problem, but now I’m stuck during kernel compilation.
> After 'make mrproper’ and ‘make menuconfig', I run ‘make'. Compilation runs ok for quite some time, but eventually it fails with a message:

> Setup is 17532 bytes (padded to 17920 bytes).
> System is 5281 kB
> CRC ed1061fd
> Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready (#1)
>   Building modules, stage 2.
>   MODPOST 3534 modules
> ERROR: “__devm_regmap_init_mmio_clk” [sound/soc/codecs/snd-soc-msm8916-digital.ko] undefined!
> make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.modpost:91: __modpost] Error 1
> make: *** [Makefile:1217: modules] Error 2
>
> I’ve tried a few times, starting from a clean source every time. I don’t understand what’s going wrong here. I was assuming that the .config created with ‘make menuconfig’ should work in any case?
> I initially created .config by copying the config-file from the host distribution (debian), running ‘make oldconfig’, and then adjusting the .config to my liking, so it should work on my system. Most likely there are lots and lots of modules selected that I don’t really need. This should not be a problem, but if it’s some obscure module that I don’t need which causes the compile error, then I’d gladly remove it.
> Thanks a lot,

Your host distro's configuration has almost no chance of doing anything
more than panicking on you as it will most likely be unable to find the
rootfs. You took the time to build LFS, then took a shortcut on the
kernel? :-/ It'll take some time and effort, but start from a clean
config and put in at least a little time exploring the various options,
you'll be surprised how much you can learn poking around menuconfig. If
really short on time, try local{yes,mod}config then tweak that, make
sure that SATA and EXT are built-in (Y), not modules (M). No reason to
build 2000 modules when you need ~40...especially for the Snapdragon
410. Well, that is, unless you've just managed to LFS your low-end
smartphone, in which case, I'll need to ask you a few questions! :-)

--DJ