[lfs-support] Cross-compiling in Ch6

Paul Rogers paulgrogers at fastmail.fm
Fri Sep 1 09:04:36 PDT 2017

Being able to use my (now old) i7 to build (B)LFS has made this much
faster, but seems to have tripped me up.  I was trying to build an i686
LFS, and thought it was enough to use an older i686-made OS and
toolchain.  Works on Conroe targets, but when I actually tried a
Pentium-3 the kernel panicked, and when trying to rebuild the kernel
with a chroot from a real i686 OS and toolchain, make kept segfaulting.

In spite of my package management wrappers, I always have followed the
book closely, but the book presumes one will run on the same system, not
a lower-grade member of the family.  I'm guessing I'll need to use
--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu throughout Ch6, and perhaps even a similar
--target for binutils, GMP, MPFR, MPC, & gcc?  Is that right?

--
Paul Rogers
paulgrogers at fastmail.fm
(I do not personally endorse any additions after this line. TANSTAAFL
:-)