[lfs-support] Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs - Next Diagnostic Steps?

Nathan Bibb nathanbibb at gmail.com
Mon May 16 08:20:32 PDT 2016

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 9:32 AM, William Harrington <kb0iic at berzerkula.org>
wrote:

> On Sun, May 15, 2016 16:36, Nathan Bibb wrote:
>
> > The LFS system was found and showed up in my Grub Menu, but when I boot
> > that, I got the kernel panic mentioned in the subject line.
> >

> Hello Nathan,
>
> Grub booted the kernel, so that part is fine. But we need more information.
>
> The rest of the kernel panic is important. What is after "VFS: unable to
> mount root fs"?
>
> Is it unknown-block device (0,0)  or (2,0)  or something like (8,0) (8,1)
> etc?
>
> If it is 0,0... then know drives were found and the kernel didn't have a
> driver or the driver didn't detect the hard drive controller and then the
> block device driver didn't find a drive.
>
> Go through your kernel config and make sure the hardware driver for your
> motherboard's hard drive controller is built into the kernel and assume
> that defconfig provided the right driver.

It is indeed 0,0 - so that makes sense.  I actually did not do anything to
the hardware drivers (assuming that old hardware would be selected by
default), so I am not surprised that this would be the fault here.  The
full line of the kernel panic is:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)

I will go back into the chroot and recompile the kernel, noting the
specific hardware drivers I need for this machine.  Not sure if google will
help me or not here - I feel like I am going into unexplored territory....

Thanks,
Nathan