[lfs-support] Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs

Paul Rogers paulgrogers at fastmail.fm
Sun May 15 12:15:41 PDT 2016

> I have finished all steps in LFS 7.9 on my old pentium -mmx machine,
> and rather than overwrite the existing grub configuration, I ran "update-
> grub" from the host Debian 7.5 system.
>
> The LFS system was found and showed up in my Grub Menu, but when I
> boot to that, I got the kernel panic mentioned in the subject line.

Not to belabor the point, it's telling you that once the kernel
completes startup it can't get to your root file system to start init.
Presumably the kernel that booted is from LFS, not the Debian host.  The
key configuration at this point is in /etc/fstab.  It, and the
"root=/dev/sdaX" in your GRUB configuration, had better agree on where
your new system is.
--
Paul Rogers
paulgrogers at fastmail.fm