[lfs-support] LFS 7.9 6.66. Texinfo-6.1 configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --disable-static

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon May 2 18:07:55 PDT 2016

On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 12:37:01PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Support wrote:
> > Ah, thanks Bruce for your time, effort and the excellent detail !
> > I'll try to look over the config and see if I can find where that gets
> > called
> > so maybe I can learn to do that myself ;)
> >
> > This is my first time here and I have to say you "guys" are awesome.
> > You not only provide detailed and targeted timely responses but give
> > the detail so that one can learn from the experience.
> >
> > P.S. Might a note in the book regarding this warning be helpful or
> > maybe something else?
>
> Please do not top post on this list.
>
> There is a bullet point in "General Compilation Instructions":
>
> "During the compilation of most packages, there will be several warnings
> that scroll by on the screen. These are normal and can safely be ignored.
> These warnings are as they appear—warnings about deprecated, but not
> invalid, use of the C or C++ syntax. C standards change fairly often, and
> some packages still use the older standard. This is not a problem, but does
> prompt the warning."
>
> That goes for configure too.
>
>   -- Bruce

Bruce - in this case I have to disagree.

In the first place, if you run configure without '&& make', which is
what we do in LFS, the (second instance of the) message does *not*
scroll by - it is the last thing you see at the end of running
configure.

The more important reason is that where a configure script reports an
unexpected switch (not all of them do), in every other case I have
seen the message is correct and the user probably mistyped the
command.

In this case, I think we ought to add something like:

The meaning of the configure options:

--disable-static

    In this case, the top-level configure script will complain, but
    the configure script for XSParagraph recognizes it and uses it
    to disapble installing a static XSParagraph.a to
    /usr/lib/texinfo.

ĸen