[lfs-support] LFS 7.9 6.66. Texinfo-6.1 configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --disable-static

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun May 1 17:27:30 PDT 2016

On Sun, May 01, 2016 at 06:48:52PM -0400, Support wrote:
> LFS 7.9  In Chapter 6.66.1 the configure of texinfo gets a warning that the
> option flag --disable-static is unrecognized.
>
> configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --disable-static
>
> However the book says to use that particular option flag.
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-static
> >

> This warning does not show in the online build logs for texinfo at:
>     http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/...31-texinfo-6.1
> <http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/build-logs/7.9/i7-5820K/logs/131-texinfo-6.1>
>
> Please note: For me texinfo did build successfully so no actual issue.
>
> Also, in case it is relevant, I am building on a debian 7.9 host with a 32
> bit Pentium CPU.
> Build target is 32 bit.
>
> I'm just curious as to why I need to use this option flag if it is
> unrecognized?
> Why does this warning not show in the online build logs?

I have to admit that I seem to have missed that switch in my own
builds.  It was added in r11032 during the package freeze, because
of ticket #3896.

Looking at the ticket, the static library is in a directory in
/usr/lib.  My own scripts assume that only static libs in /usr/lib
itself are likely to be linked by packages, but perhaps I'm being
lax there.  The details in that ticket certainly look valid.

Hmm, yes I get the same message at the end of configure, and logging
all the output I also got it before the configure started.  But
within the configure log, when I did not have that switch I got:

checking if cc static flag -static works... yes
checking if cc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if cc supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking whether the cc linker (/usr/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64) supports
shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
                                             ^^^^

but with it I get

checking if cc static flag -static works... yes
checking if cc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if cc supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking whether the cc linker (/usr/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64) supports
shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking whether to build static libraries... no
                                             ^^^

So it is indeed recognised by the configure script in one of the
subdirectories, and doing a DESTDIR install confirms that it works.

totally unexpected, it does not show in the build logs.  But it
works fine despite the message.  Autotools can be fun at times.

As to why nobody else has noticed this until now, your guess is as
good as mine.

ĸen