[lfs-support] Problem with building GMP 6.1.1 on LFS 7.9: C++ compiler not available.

Sutter, Benjamin benjaminsutter at aurora-schools.org
Thu Aug 25 15:02:53 PDT 2016

Hello. I'm having trouble building GMP 6.1.1 in Chapter 6 of LFS 7.9 . Yes,
this is my first LFS build, but I know my fair share of Linux. I'm
currently in the chroot and have built and followed everything up to 6.14
without failure. Now, I'm getting a message when I execute the configure
script as specified in 6.14. The last five lines of my configure output
(the seemingly significant ones) are as follows:

checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking C++ compiler g++ -O2 -pedantic -fomit-frame-pointer -m64
-mtune=sandybridge -march=sandybridge... no, program does not run
checking C++ compiler g++ -g -O2... no, program does not run
configure: error: C++ compiler not available, see config.log for details

What I can gather from this is that g++ is installed (and it is in the
right directory) and it can be run (I've tried), but it can't use those
options, even though I have run it with those on a dummy.c and it works
fine. Does anyone know anything about this?