[lfs-support] LFS 7.10 rc1. Tool chain technical notes 5.2

Hazel Russman hazeldebian at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 25 09:28:07 PDT 2016

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 10:54:46 -0500
Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hazel Russman wrote:
> > On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 14:22:18 +0200 Pierre Labastie
> > <pierre.labastie at neuf.fr> wrote:

> >> I guess you mean the sentence "The compiler is generally not an
> >> issue since Glibc will always use the compiler relating to the
> >> /|--host|/ parameter passed to its configure script, e.g. in our
> >> case, i686-lfs-linux-gnu-gcc". I trust you about English, but for me,
> >> the "e.g." may as well refer to the compiler...
>
> > Yes, I was hasty. The second reference (to CC) is correct. The first,
> > which you quoted, is definitely ambiguous. As phrased, it could refer
> > either to the --host parameter itself or to the compiler which
> > configure chooses as a consequence. May I suggest a small emendation
> > for clarity: "...configure script. In our case, this compiler will be
> > i686-lfs-linux-gnu-gcc."
>
> I don't understand.  We now say:
>
>   The compiler is generally not an issue since Glibc will always use the
> compiler relating to the --host parameter passed to its configure script,
> e.g. in our case, i686-lfs-linux-gnu-gcc.
>
> Can you please clarify your suggested clarification?
>
>    -- Bruce
As written, "e.g. in our case, i686-lfs-linux-gnu-gcc" could qualify either "the compiler" or "the --host parameter". It's meant to qualify the compiler of course, but as it directly follows the --host parameter clause, it's easy to read the two clauses as belonging together. That was certainly the way I read it, and that's why I initially thought it was an error.

It's always hard to see ambiguities in something you wrote yourself because you know exactly what it means. It takes some other damn fool to come along and read it all wrong!

Hazel