[lfs-support] LFS 7.10 rc1. Tool chain technical notes 5.2

Hazel Russman hazeldebian at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 25 05:50:17 PDT 2016

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 14:22:18 +0200
Pierre Labastie <pierre.labastie at neuf.fr> wrote:

> On 25/08/2016 12:32, Hazel Russman wrote:
> > There seem to be a couple of typos in the paragraph on building glibc. The --host parameter would be $LFS_TGT which evaluates (for a 32-bit system) to i686-lfs-linux-gnu, not i686-lfs-linux-gnu-gcc as written.
> >
> > Hazel
>
> Hi Hazel,
>
> I guess you mean the sentence "The compiler is generally not an issue
> since Glibc will always use the compiler relating to the /|--host|/
> parameter passed to its configure script, e.g. in our case,
> i686-lfs-linux-gnu-gcc". I trust you about English, but for me, the
> "e.g." may as well refer to the compiler...
>

> Pierre

Yes, I was hasty. The second reference (to CC) is correct. The first, which you quoted, is definitely ambiguous. As phrased, it could refer either to the --host parameter itself or to the compiler which configure chooses as a consequence. May I suggest a small emendation for clarity: "...configure script. In our case, this compiler will be i686-lfs-linux-gnu-gcc."

Hazel