[lfs-support] error: /dev/sdc: No medium found

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 19:47:51 PDT 2015

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Alexey Orishko wrote:
>>
>> The moment I've switched from 7.5 to 7.7 I got this messages. I have a
>> few HID devices connected and sometimes I use libusb and in some cases
>> directly /dev/hidraw. I didn't check the exact scenario when error
>> appeared on the console.
>>
>>>  From LFS7.7SVN (chroot):
>>> # udevadm test /sys/block/sdc 2>&1 | grep error
>>> error: /dev/sdc: No medium found
>>
>> I also have several messages like this printed on console right after
>> login prompt appeared, but I've never seen them in 7.5...
>
> Yes, I've seen that too.  The message is in eudev.  It appears that it happens
> when the media is removed.  It's looking at /sys/block/sdc, but it's been
> removed.  This is something that needs to be sent upstream.

I did report upstream, but I also experimented.  The message is being initiated
from a udev rule that is doing 'IMPORT{builtin}="usb_id"'. There is line three
lines down:

ACTION!="add", GOTO="default_permissions_end"

If that is moved up to a point before the IMPORT{builtin}="usb_id", the message
does not occur.  The file is /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules.

No reboot or process restart is needed.