[lfs-support] Can't Mount Root Filesystem

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Wed Mar 18 06:07:39 PDT 2015

On Wed, March 18, 2015 08:11, Роберт Киммель wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> I've been building LFS systems on and off for more than a decade, but
> I've been struggling with this one for a while now.
>
> I have my 7.6 system installed, and when I boot, it seems like the
> kernel loads, and everything goes as it should for a while.  But, when
> it comes time to remount the root file system (which is the one where
> the kernel was in the first place), it can't find it, kernel panic.

Hello Роберт Киммель,

If you get kernel panic and a message:

unknown block-device(0,0) or (0,2) or some such other, then the kernel
config needs to be checked that the drivers for the hard drive controller
and filesystem are in the kernel and not as modules.

Using the 6.3 LFS livecd config is from linux 2.6.22.5 kernel, and it also
uses an initramfs, so that won't help you much.

It may help you find out which drivers are loaded for the hardware to
include with your own kernel build.

View other messages in the LFS-Support archive where people haven't been
able to mount rootfs because it wasn't found. Specifically, look for
unknown block-device with the PANIC.

View Armin's helpful document for configuring a basic kernel.
http://linuxfromscratch.org/~krejzi/basic-kernel.txt

Sincerely,

William Harrington