[lfs-support] Can't Mount Root Filesystem

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Wed Mar 18 02:14:07 PDT 2015

Le 18/03/2015 09:11, Роберт Киммель a écrit :
> Greetings All,
>
> I've been building LFS systems on and off for more than a decade, but
> I've been struggling with this one for a while now.
>
> I have my 7.6 system installed, and when I boot, it seems like the
> kernel loads, and everything goes as it should for a while.  But, when
> it comes time to remount the root file system (which is the one where
> the kernel was in the first place), it can't find it, kernel panic.
>
> I've checked all the relevant /etc and /boot files, and they seem OK, so
> I suspect this is a matter of some kernel setting which is needed for
> this particular hard disk, but which is not set properly.  All my
> previous LFS systems were on what I'll call more "consumer" grade
> hardware, but this one is a more up-market server platform.  So I think
> probably I need to enable some option, some hardware driver, which I
> never needed before.  However, I have tried a bunch of things, and
> nothing works so far.
>
> My LFS 6.3 LiveCD boots on the same hardware no problem, and I can mount
> the hard disk Linux partition, and do all the things one would normally
> do to a hard disk, no problem.  So my thought was, maybe I can start
> with the LFS 6.3 kernel settings, do a "make oldconfig" or something
> similar on the kernel used in 7.6, and see if I can get the 7.6 system
> to work that way.
>
> But I can't find the kernel settings for the LiveCD.  Are they on the CD
> somewhere?
>
> Also, if anyone can think of a way to approach this problem which is
> different than the one I'm pursuing, I'd appreciate any advice.

I am not sure exactly when the panic occurs. Is it after init start
(message 'INIT: version 2.88 booting') or before?
If it is after, it means it is not a kernel issue, since it was able to
load init. If it is before, I guess your approch is OK. You could try to
install a modern distro, instead of the old LIve CD, and see what kernel
modules are loaded once the system is started.

Pierre