[lfs-support] error: /dev/sdc: No medium found

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Sun Mar 15 11:31:50 PDT 2015

On 14-03-2015 20:52, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 06:53:15PM -0300, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
>> Since yesterday, tying to go on starting BLFS and updating what I could
>> in the way.
>>
>> But this error has to be fixed.
>>
>> Found several references in the web but not solution, most with sdb, not
>> sdc. Most are related to systemd or udev, it has hit Ubuntu, and I think
>> it is related to something in eudev.
>>
>> It has to be fixed, because at the login prompt and after, it keeps
>> inserting messages:
>>
>> "error opening USB device 'descriptord' file".
>>
>> Don't think has to do with static libraries, but if I don't find a
>> solution until tomorrow, will dump this system and start an overnight
>> jhalfs build.
>>
>> # cat /mnt/LFS77/etc/lfs-release
>> SVN-20150303

Thanks for the post, ĸen.

> Google says that the messages say 'descriptors', not 'descriptord'
> (for anybody else grepping their log).

Yes, thanks.

> At least one thread suggests it is triggered by _something_ usb
> connected to the machine. An external drive or printer ?

I have nothing usb_connected now.

> Another similar report suggests a failing cable or failing connector
> on the USB device. Looks as if the message comes from eudev in this
> case.

Perhaps a failing USB device.

I have already in the Mint installation:

/var/log/installer/casper.log:/init: line 7: can't open /dev/sdc: No
medium found

>From Mint:
$ sudo udevadm test /sys/block/sdc 2>&1 | grep error
error: /dev/sdc: No medium found

>From LFS7.7SVN (chroot):
# udevadm test /sys/block/sdc 2>&1 | grep error
error: /dev/sdc: No medium found

>From LFS7.1SVN, the same. However, at boot, there is no message "error:
/dev/sdc: No medium found".

An intriguing thing is that /dev/sdc seems to be looking for
/sys/dev/sdc, not /sys/block/sdc:

$ sudo udevadm test /dev/sdc 2>&1 | grep sdc
unable to open device '/sys/dev/sdc'

Good thing, I've got rid of the console message (warning?), I think
(after doing many things) changing consolelog to level 3 in
/etc/sysconfig/rc.site.

Thanks again.

--
[]s,