[lfs-support] glibc tests fail

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Mar 14 05:41:46 PDT 2015

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 10:14:13AM +0000, Yakir Sudry wrote:
> Hi
> I'm using book version 7.7:
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/downloads/stable/LFS-BOOK-7.7-NOCHUNKS.html
>
> I followed the instructions carefully and (I think) everything was ok until
> 6.9, where I needed to build glibc in the chroot environment. I managed to
> build it but the tests failed:
>
> Summary of test results:
>     867 FAIL
>    1306 PASS
>     202 XFAIL

Ouch!  Are /dev, /dev/pts, /sys and /proc mounted in chroot ?  i.e.
does 'ls' from within chroot show any files in them.

If that is not the answer, you will need to look for the failing
test results, to see what they report.  I do not have a completed
gcc-build tree around, so I cannot point you to where the test
results are, but I guess there are one or more test/ directories.

Also, did you remove the extracted package and -build directories
after each package was installed ?  (this is essential)

> There are 2 things I'm not completely sure about, and might be connected:
> - So far I haven't applied any patches. This is due to the fact that at no
> point the book said "apply patch" (Except for the glibc in step 6.9.1,
> which I did). I also not sure to apply the patches, if needed (what
> commandline to use, and in which directory)

The patches in LFS are mostly in chapter 6, because we do not care
too much about the throwaway temporary system we build in chapter 5.
When a patch is mentioned, the instructions will be like in section
6.9.1 and you should be in the package's source directory.

> - from stage 6.7 the book didn't explain where to build the packages. These
> are packages linux-api, man-pages. I assumed that I should go into
> /sources, extract it using "tar -xvf", go into the created directory, and
> execute the commands. It seems to have worked.

Yes, /sources is conventional for LFS and BLFS.

ĸen