[lfs-support] boot error

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 06:49:06 PDT 2015

︶ㄣoοΟ wrote:
> Hey guys,after 7 days work,my first "linux form scrach" is working,but there are
> some errors.
> boot up got pause with messeage:
>
> 1
>
> /lib/lsb/init-functions:line 621:/run/boot-log:Read-only filesystem
> *****
>           [ FAIL ]
> There are some more line 611,line664,line675,and i can't find file /run/boot-log

If you have installed the bootscripts correctly, the very first one that is run
is mountvirtfs.  The first instruction there is

if ! mountpoint /run >/dev/null; then
          mount /run || failed=1
fi

The fstab has

tmpfs   /run  tmpfs    defaults     0     0

If you did not configure the kernel to support a tmpfs, CONFIG_TMPFS, then
that's about the only thing that should cause your issue.

> 2
> You should not be  reading this error message.
> It means that an unforeseen error took place in
> /etc/rc.d/rcS.d/S00mountvirtfs,
> which exited with a return value of 1.
>
> How to fix this?
>
> BTW,when i'm doing my lfs job,at page 39,      5.5. GCC-4.9.1 - Pass 1,if i
> issue the secend SED command,i won't be able to complete the compile,is that a bug?‍

We don't really refer to pages.  Just use the section name.

The sed, if it's applied correctly, should add two lines, one of which is
ignored.  Since it appends lines, if it's run twice, it might cause a problem,
but the sed should be used.  That said, if you got beyond this point an through
Pass 2, then you are OK.

The configure output should read:

checking __stack_chk_fail in target C library... (cached) yes

You don't say what error you got though.