[lfs-support] Framebuffers

Richard Melville richard.melville69 at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 5 11:27:59 PST 2015

On 5 March 2015 at 16:04, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Richard Melville wrote:
>
>  Far more development appears to go into Syslinux than Grub2.  There were
>> five different versions of Syslinux released in 2013 and one at the end of
>> last year.  I find Syslinux much easier to build, configure and use.  It's
>> small, light, and fast.  Surely, all we require of a bootloader is to boot
>> the system.  Again, as you say: "simpler is better".
>>

> grub can be complicated, but we actually make it fairly easy.  The build
> is CMMI with a few extra configure switches.  The configuration file is
> about 10 lines long.  It's the commercial distros that make it complicated.

 I can accept that Grub2 should be learned for practical reasons; after
all, it is the de facto bootloader for distros.  And LFS is an excellent
learning environment.  Furthermore, AFAIK, only Grub can boot a complete
range of file systems, whereas Syslinux is limited to the Ext family
(including Btrfs).  And, correct me if I'm wrong, but Grub can handle
full-disk encryption, whereas Syslinux can't.  However, if all you want to
do is boot your shiny new LFS with the minimum of hassle, then Syslinux is
hard to beat.

Richard