[lfs-support] Framebuffers

Richard Melville richard.melville69 at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 5 01:43:06 PST 2015

On 5 March 2015 at 00:00, Paul Rogers <paulgrogers at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> > Have a look at DirectFB, MPlayer, Links and fbi, to name but a few
> > applications.  These all work well with the framebuffer on *LFS.
>
> Isn't it confusing to have some full-screen graphics apps in X and some
> direct to the FB?  I suppose direct might be more efficient, but not if
> it means hopping in and out of X, or am I missing something?

No, I don't think you're missing anything.  I don't use X much as most of
my boxes are servers.  I have, however, always been fascinated by just how
much can be achieved (in graphical terms) by using the framebuffer and
ditching X.  As you say: "simpler is better".

> As a point of information I could never get video= to work but vga=792
> > works for me.  I should point out that I use Syslinux rather than
> > Grub2, which is far too bloated for me.
>
> Yes, I'm beginning to come to that conclusion.  One of the reasons I
> moved to Linux--simpler is better.  Grub has the systemd disease.  ;-)

Far more development appears to go into Syslinux than Grub2.  There were
five different versions of Syslinux released in 2013 and one at the end of
last year.  I find Syslinux much easier to build, configure and use.  It's
small, light, and fast.  Surely, all we require of a bootloader is to boot
the system.  Again, as you say: "simpler is better".

Richard