[lfs-support] Framebuffers

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Wed Mar 4 17:46:02 PST 2015

On Wed, 04 Mar 2015 16:00:32 -0800
Paul Rogers <paulgrogers at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> >  Look for information on video=, for example video=1024x768.  The
> >  useful value(s) will depend on your monitor.
>
> Do I gather correctly these are arguments for fbcon and, since I've
> built all the framebuffer stuff as modules, I put it in a
> modprobe.d file?

Well when the framebuffer is a module, you pass mode options when loading the module. mode_option exists for uvesafb but I don't know about other framebuffer modules. If I want a framebuffer, I build it into the kernel.

You may need to read the driver source to see what it is going to expect.

You can read more here about forcing kernel modes http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/KernelModeSetting/

video= is used at the kernel command line. If it is a module, it's usually finding out the option to use when loading the kernel module. I've sometimes had to resort to reading the source code.

Sincerely,

William Harrington