[lfs-support] Framebuffers

Paul Rogers paulgrogers at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 4 16:00:32 PST 2015

>  Look for information on video=, for example video=1024x768.  The
>  useful value(s) will depend on your monitor.

Do I gather correctly these are arguments for fbcon and, since I've
built all the framebuffer stuff as modules, I put it in a
modprobe.d file?

> other systems on that box, I omit the video= specification and
> sometimes use a 12x22 console font.  Unfortunately, there are no

That would be where?  And why?  What's the advantage to either?

>  If you want to use 12x22, you need to select it in the kernel, I
>  think (Sun 12x22 font), otherwise trying to load a 12x22 font in kbd
>  may fail.

I don't recall venturing there.

> because a framebuffer on his screen gave him a _lot_ more than the
> 80x25 that he really wanted.  Me, I'm happy to see the penguins and a
> few more character cells ;-)

It was cute the first time I saw it on Knoppix 1 or 2.  In X, I
generally run 800x600, and rxvt geometry of 80x39.  But I'm not sure at
the moment what I'm getting on this Samsung 19" monitor, maybe more than
1280!  1600?

>  For 7.2, vga= is probably fine (although I think that the version of
>  grub even that long ago claimed that vga= was deprecated).  I

Grub-2.00 seems to ignore it.  It didn't seem to work when I tested it.
I don't want to add GFXPAYLOAD until I understand how everything is
supposed to work together.  BTW, neither LFS-7.2 nor 7.6 speak to using
/etc/default/grub.

> Have a look at DirectFB, MPlayer, Links and fbi, to name but a few
> applications.  These all work well with the framebuffer on *LFS.

Isn't it confusing to have some full-screen graphics apps in X and some
direct to the FB?  I suppose direct might be more efficient, but not if
it means hopping in and out of X, or am I missing something?

> As a point of information I could never get video= to work but vga=792
> works for me.  I should point out that I use Syslinux rather than
> Grub2, which is far too bloated for me.

Yes, I'm beginning to come to that conclusion.  One of the reasons I
moved to Linux--simpler is better.  Grub has the systemd disease.  ;-)

> Hello Paul,

Hi...

> Archlinux wiki is usually a good place. For Grub2, the preferred way
> to set the resolution is using the gfx payload. vga= isn't supported.

So I see, but I want to understand all the moving parts before I
change something and call it good.  I may be fixing the symptom, not
the disease.

> For the kernel messages, I get a small font, but change that in the
> boot scripts:
>
> In either /etc/sysconfig/rc.site (my preference) or

As I just wrote, IMO "simpler is better", or as Einstein said, "As
simple as possible, but no simpler", and the (B)LFS bootscripts seemed
to me more complicated than they need be.  I rewrote most of all of 'em.
It gets the operational stuff done, but the structure and coding are to
my mind and experience, simpler.

> /etc/sysconfig/console I set FONT=ter-128n.  That is a terminus font
> from http://terminus-font.sourceforge.net/.  They have a lot of sizes
> available.

Ok, that's another option.  So how do all these compare if I'm
occasionally bouncing out of VT7 to another VT and back again?  What
makes all the screen changes simpler and more glitch resistant?
--
Paul Rogers
paulgrogers at fastmail.fm

http://www.fastmail.com - A no graphics, no pop-ups email service