[lfs-support] Framebuffers

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Wed Mar 4 05:36:16 PST 2015

On Wed, March 4, 2015 04:01, Paul Rogers wrote:
> This isn't a request for a problem solution on LFS, but for advice.  In
> the decade I've been using LFS I've avoided using framebuffers.  That's
> been OK for the stuff I do, which is as often on CLI as in X, but things
> have moved on a lot, and I guess it's time--got an i7 and Nvidia card
> now for one thing ;-) .  On this LFS-7.2 system I'm building out I tried
> it, picking up the Nouveau driver in the process.  As soon as udev
> creates /dev/fb0 the console explodes into huge screen with an itsy,
> bitsy miniscule font that is often too hard to read.  Some stuff I see
> says to use vga=769 on the boot line.  That does nothing. The LDP
> HowTo's are 5 years old and speak of kernel-2.1!
>
> So my question is, where is a good source for me to get up to speed so I
> can make the console framebuffer behave the way I want outside of X?

Hello Paul,

Archlinux wiki is usually a good place. For Grub2, the preferred way to
set the resolution is using the gfx payload. vga= isn't supported.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/Tips_and_tricks#Setting_the_framebuffer_resolution

Hwinfo can be installed and used to view the modes: hwinfo --framebuffer

At the Grub command line "vbeinfo" can be ran.

Refer to
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/Tips_and_tricks#Setting_the_framebuffer_resolution

Sincerely,

William Harrington