[lfs-support] Framebuffers

Richard Melville richard.melville69 at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 4 02:16:45 PST 2015

On 4 March 2015 at 06:39, Paul Rogers <paulgrogers at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> > You may want to check, but I think the i7 processor has an Intel GPU
> > on the chip.
>
> This is neither here nor there for my question, but some do, some don't.
> This is an i7-940, Socket LGA1366, "Tylersburg" X58 Express chipset. The
> Socket LGA1156, [HPQ]5[57] chipsets have the integrated graphics.  This
> video card is an odd duck--the reason I was given it--it's straight PCI,
> not PCI Express!
>
> I've read the Documentation/fb files, but they don't help me much.  I
> need to understand the higher level use of framebuffers too.

Have a look at DirectFB, MPlayer, Links and fbi, to name but a few
applications.  These all work well with the framebuffer on *LFS.

As a point of information I could never get video= to work but vga=792
works for me.  I should point out that I use Syslinux rather than Grub2,
which is far too bloated for me.

Richard