[lfs-support] Framebuffers

Paul Rogers paulgrogers at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 3 20:01:45 PST 2015

This isn't a request for a problem solution on LFS, but for advice.  In
the decade I've been using LFS I've avoided using framebuffers.  That's
been OK for the stuff I do, which is as often on CLI as in X, but things
have moved on a lot, and I guess it's time--got an i7 and Nvidia card
now for one thing ;-) .  On this LFS-7.2 system I'm building out I tried
it, picking up the Nouveau driver in the process.  As soon as udev
creates /dev/fb0 the console explodes into huge screen with an itsy,
bitsy miniscule font that is often too hard to read.  Some stuff I see
says to use vga=769 on the boot line.  That does nothing. The LDP
HowTo's are 5 years old and speak of kernel-2.1!

So my question is, where is a good source for me to get up to speed so I
can make the console framebuffer behave the way I want outside of X?
--
Paul Rogers
paulgrogers at fastmail.fm

http://www.fastmail.com - Send your email first class