[lfs-support] LFS 7.6 Ch. 6.17 GCC: make error

ZyaX thezyax at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 07:00:42 PST 2015

On 3/1/15, Pierre Labastie <pierre.labastie at neuf.fr> wrote:

> Ken, if I dare... From the log above, I would say it is in the
> sources/gcc-build/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libgcc directory.
> Actually, if you do not run parallel jobs in make (no -j flag),
> you can look for the line starting with "Configuring in" closest to the
> point where it fails.

That directory was correct. It did also show up correctly with Ken's
suggested methods.

> There is something wrong with this "/lib/cpp" result. I've always seen:
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E (or a three line command
> involving xgcc)
>
> And normally, the /lib/cpp link should not exist at this stage, while it
> _has_
> been found by configure. Are you sure you are in the chroot environment?
> (run
> 'ls /tools': if you are chrooted, it should give an error). If you are sure
> you are in the chroot environment, just try removing the /lib/cpp link (rm
> /lib/cpp) and type `make' again.

There is no /lib/cpp link. There is no file at all for that path.
I am chrooted into $LFS, but I don't know why 'ls /tools' should give
an error. Since the tools directory is located in $LFS as per the
instructions of this book. In other words, no, 'ls /tools' does not
give an error. It lists the contents of tools, i.e. the temporary
system. I'm a bit confused!