[lfs-support] LFS 7.6 Ch. 6.17 GCC: make error

ZyaX thezyax at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 06:42:05 PST 2015

On 3/1/15, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> The best way to find the relevant part of config.log is to use
> another term (as root on the host - that way, you have a full
> toolkit) and cd to /mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build.
>
> Gcc is among the packages which run configure in many subdirectories,
> each with its own config.log.  This one looks as if it is in the
> top-level directory, but you could run 'find . -name config.log |
> xargs ls -l' to check.
>
> If there is more than one, grep them for 'fails sanity check'.  When
> you know which config.log is the important one, open it in 'less'
> and seach for 'fails sanity check', [ that will be
>  /fails\ sanity\ check
> if you are not aware ].
>
> Then look at the lines above that.  You should see configure
> creating a program fragment, trying to run it, getting one or more
> errors, and then producing the 'fails sanity check' message.  It is
> the error(s) which will point to what is wrong.

Thanks. I found that the pertinent config.log was
gcc-build/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libgcc/config.log. It was the only
one of around ten files that had the sought error message. Inspecting
the part with 'fails sanity check' gives a message above that repeats
around 9 times and consists of:

configure:3938: /lib/cpp  conftest.c
/sources/gcc-4.9.1/libgcc/configure: line 1459: /lib/cpp: No such file
or directory
configure:3938: $? = 127
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "GNU C Runtime Library"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "libgcc"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "1.0"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "GNU C Runtime Library 1.0"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define PACKAGE_URL "http://www.gnu.org/software/libgcc/"
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| #ifdef __STDC__
| # include <limits.h>
| #else
| # include <assert.h>
| #endif
|                    Syntax error
configure:3968: error: in `/sources/gcc-build/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libgcc':
configure:3971: error: C preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check

Though I'm not sure where one message ends and the next begins. But
going up all the way it starts out with configure(i.e.
/sources/gcc-4.9.1/libgcc/configure) checking for the C preprocessor:

configure:3848: checking how to run the C preprocessor
configure:3879: /sources/gcc-build/./gcc/xgcc
-B/sources/gcc-build/./gcc/ -B/usr/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/
-B/usr/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/ -isystem
/usr/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/include -isystem
/usr/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/sys-include    -E  conftest.c
In file included from /usr/include/bits/posix1_lim.h:160:0,
                 from /usr/include/limits.h:143,
                 from /sources/gcc-build/gcc/include-fixed/limits.h:168,
                 from /sources/gcc-build/gcc/include-fixed/syslimits.h:7,
                 from /sources/gcc-build/gcc/include-fixed/limits.h:34,
                 from conftest.c:10:
/usr/include/bits/local_lim.h:38:26: fatal error: linux/limits.h: No
such file or directory
 #include <linux/limits.h>
                                         ^
compilation terminated.

What first caught my eye was the included file conftest.c which didn't
have a specified path, which would lead me to believe that it should
be in the working directory. But that file doesn't exist anywhere for
that matter. It seems like the file local_lim.h that refers to
linux/limits.h puts the final nail in the coffin. Could it be that I
didn't clean up my C headers when I installed them from the linux API
package so that they point to the right places for the way LFS is set
up? Although there are no such instructions for that package nor does
it list the directory of that file as files that it installs.