[lfs-support] e2fsprogs make error

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 22 18:46:59 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 10:46:43PM +0000, Sandeep Singh wrote:
> Ok. About the top posting, I am still not able to comprehend this concept,
> I hope you would not mind throwing some light on it. What would be the
> correct way to post and are there any tools available for this as right now
> I am doing this posting from a web browser.
>
> thanks again & best regards

The _concept_ is fairly simple - it is how mailing lists worked
before big companies introduced "do it our way" software
(originally, I think, microsoft introduced it - but gmail in the web
interface works the same stupid way (you send a reply, and by
default _everything_ in the original post - comes afterwards).

Somebody posts something.  In this case, you posted a paragraph
beginning "Ok. About...".  When I reply, I delete everything which
is not relevant to my reply, and then I reply _beneath_ the text I
am replying to.  Often, I will reply to different parts of a
message, so that my reply has part of the original text, prefixed by
'> ' on each line (my mail client handles the prefix), my reply,
more of the original with a '> ' prefix, another part of my reply.

For more explanation, try
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Top_posting

But as to how you can do it, "it depends on what you are using".
And the browser mail software invariably hides its identity (the
User-Agent header), so I cannot tell what you are using.

For gmail in a browser, I think you can click somewhere to get the
text to which you wish to reply, but I restrict my use of gmail to
people who expect that arse-about-face form (and who seem to think
that html in mail is a feature).

ĸen