[lfs-support] expr core dump

Alexey Orishko alexey.orishko at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 16:24:36 PDT 2015

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 8:17 PM, Armin K. <krejzi at email.com> wrote:

> That may be the problem. GMP optimizes itself for a currently running machine.
> Illegal instructions means you are trying to use a CPU instruction from a
> newer architecture. You may want to try to rebuild GMP for generic target
> --build=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

I've tried to recompile gmp package on the live target with the option
you've mentioned, but make failed with
# make
./gen-fac  0 >fac_table.h || (rm -f fac_table.h; exit 1)
Usage: gen-fac_ui limbbits nailbits
Makefile:1328: recipe for target 'fac_table.h' failed
make: *** [fac_table.h] Error 1

The only explanation I have that it is due to the incorrect gmp
library which was installed earlier. It also failed on the target with
--build=atom-unknown-linux-gnu or without any build option.

However I can rebuild gmp in chroot on the host where LFS was
originally built, copy dir to the target and install gmp from it.
Doesn't look nice, but at least it's a way to fix live systems...

By the way, are there any other packages where I have to specify
target host architecture?

Regards,
Alexey