[lfs-support] e2fsprogs make error

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 22 12:16:37 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 05:43:26PM +0000, Sandeep Singh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Arch linux as the host system and version 7.7 of the LFS book.
> The check commands after gcc build in 6.17 came out spot on.
> Now while making e2fsprogs I am getting this error
>
> ./../../lib/ext2fs/closefs.c:1:3: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or
> '__attribute__' before '.' token
>  nt.*old_desc_blocks/s/int/blk64_t/
>    ^
> In file included from /tools/include/stdio.h:74:0,
>                  from ../../../lib/ext2fs/closefs.c:26:
> /tools/include/libio.h:306:3: error: unknown type name 'size_t'
>    size_t __pad5;
>    ^

I'll snip the rest.  After the first error when a program fails to
compile, there is usually not much _reliable_ information in later
errors.

For that first message, I am unable to make any sense of where the
error is apparently reported, the line
>  nt.*old_desc_blocks/s/int/blk64_t/
looks like garbage (or, perhaps like the end of a sed command).

However, the error about size_t implies that /usr/include/stdio.h is
somewhow deficient.  On a more recent system, that file contains,
among many other things,

# ifndef __ssize_t_defined
typedef __ssize_t ssize_t;
# define __ssize_t_defined
# endif

If your stdio.h does not include that, I will be very surprised.

Assuming that stdio.h is ok, please delete your extracted e2fprogs
directory, check that the md5sum of the tarball is still correct (I
once had corrupt files in the system cache, because of a RAM fault),
and then try again.

ĸen