[lfs-support] gcc build error

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 15 11:19:41 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 01:32:37PM -0400, Chris Staub wrote:
> On 06/15/2015 12:47 PM, Sandeep Singh wrote:
> >well on page 5.5 it says
> >
> >The GCC documentation recommends building GCC outside of the source
> >directory in a dedicated build directory:
> >
> >mkdir -v ../gcc-build cd ../gcc-build
> >
> >that is the reason I created the gcc-build directory outside of the source directory.
> >
> >So what you are saying is to create a gcc-build directory with in the source directory.
> >

> >best regards
>
> No, I ma saying to follow the instructions given in the book. As stated on
> page 5.3:
>
> "For each package:
>
>     Using the tar program, extract the package to be built. In Chapter 5,
> ensure you are the lfs user when extracting the package.
>
>     Change to the directory created when the package was extracted.
>
>     Follow the book's instructions for building the package."
>
> Therefore, if you are following what the book says to do, you will already
> be in gcc's source dir before doing anything on that page, including the
> creation of gcc-build.

True, and for a first-time, building in /mnt/lfs/sources (and then
building blfs in /sources) is _usually_ the best way to go, because
the book's instructions all assume that.  But in practice you can
use any directory which exists within /mnt/lfs and is writable by
the lfs user - in practice, that means creating a directory and
chown'ing it : /mnt/lfs itself is not writable until you become
root, and it is not a good place to scatter things (unless you
_like_ a lot of junk in '/' after you have chrooted).

But for the gcc problem, I would have thought 5.1.0 would be able to
build a 4.9.2 system, even though we do not usually try building an
older system from a newer one : on my latest svn system I built
4.9.2 in the completed system to use for gst-plugins-bad.  So, I
suspect another error - check your lfs user's command history.

ĸen