[lfs-support] gcc build error

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Mon Jun 15 09:04:56 PDT 2015

On 06/15/2015 08:05 AM, Sandeep Singh wrote:
> I am using Arch Linux as the host system which is dual booting with
> windows 8.1.
> following the lfs version 7.7 of the book.
>
> Makefile:1058: recipe for target 'c-family/c-cppbuiltin.o' failed
> make[2]: *** [c-family/c-cppbuiltin.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/mnt/lfs/gcc-build/gcc'
> Makefile:3977: recipe for target 'all-gcc' failed
> make[1]: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/mnt/lfs/gcc-build'
> Makefile:862: recipe for target 'all' failed
> make: *** [all] Error 2

The first problem I see, while it (probably) doesn't have anything to do
with the errors you're getting, is that you have /mnt/lfs/gcc-build. If
you've been following the book, gcc-build should be in $LFS/sources -
read page 5.3 very carefully. Also, you had to have deviated from the
book somehow to create /mnt/lfs/gcc-build at all - either you became
root in Chapter 5 or you chowned $LFS to the lfs user, neither of which
the book says to do.

First, run these commands as root:

rm -rf /mnt/lfs/gcc-build && chown root:root /mnt/lfs

Then start the GCC build over again, making sure to pay close attention
to the instructions on page 5.3, and do not use root/sudo until the book
specifically tells you to do so.