[lfs-support] bash profile

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 6 13:35:40 PDT 2015

On Sun, Jun 07, 2015 at 01:37:27AM +0000, Sandeep wrote:
> On Sat, 2015-06-06 at 15:10 -0400, Chris Staub wrote:
> > On 06/06/2015 06:17 PM, Sandeep wrote:
> > > Let me start by thanking Mike, Chris and Bruce for helping me with
> > > the
> > > wget-list problem.
> > > Now I am stuck again and can't seem to create a bash profile.
> > > I am using Arch linux as the host system and building lfs on a
> > > dedicated partition, using lfs 7.7 version.
> > >
> > > thank you
> > > Best Regards
> > >
> > You didn't say what the problem is. Are you getting an error?
> sorry for the goof up. I am new to mailing lists. Let me start afresh I
> am on the setting up enviornment part. I gave the command Cat >
> ~/.bash_profile << "EOF"
> exec env -i HOME=$HOME TERM=$TERM PS1='\u:\w\$ ' /bin/bash
> It returned the error bash: /.bash_profile no such file or directory
> thanks

At this ppint, you have logged in as user lfs ?

I suspect you have a typo somewhere in what you have pasted - I
would expect the error to refer to ~/.bash_profile, not to
/.bash_profile : do you see the difference ?

Can you touch a new file in your home directory ?

If so, does 'ls -l' show it is owned by user lfs ?

Also, what does 'echo $HOME' report ?

Your clock on the machine you sent the mail from is wrong - it is
apparently set to UTC, but with a time some hours ahead of UTC.
That is not a problem for building LFS, but you might want to fix
it.

ĸen