[lfs-support] Regeneration of udev net rules

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Fri Jun 5 02:29:18 PDT 2015

On 05.06.2015 10:50, Geoff Swan wrote:

> After a bit of searching I found this.
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/
>
> Looks like udev has changed again, and naming using 'eth' names is
> discouraged.

And I recently found out why.

My laptop has a Broadcom Wifi card and I need to use a binary driver
to get most out of it. Given that driver is out of tree, it breaks
with almost every new release of the kernel. When Linux 3.18 (or 3.19)
came out, the driver was broken and caused a kernel panic. I bought
an USB wifi.

Since then, I had two wlan interfaces - wlan0 and wlan1. But that was
a total disaster. Sometimes the USB one would claim wlan0, sometimes
wlan1, depending which driver was faster to load. I ended up blacklisting
the broadcom card so udev doesn't load it anymore, simply because
I don't like the new naming scheme. But now I understand why it was
needed.

--
Note: My last name is not Krejzi.