[lfs-support] Regeneration of udev net rules

Geoff Swan gswan3 at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jun 3 19:06:23 PDT 2015

On 2015-06-03 6:53 AM, Paul Rogers wrote:
>> However, when I move this OS drive to another similar server, the
>> network devices fail to start because the definitions in the udev rule
>> file are stilll bound to the MAC addresses of the previous hardware.
>>
>> The question is, is there a mechanism to allow the system to regenerate
>> the rules file and bind the names to the new hardware devices
>> automatically?
>>
>> Perhaps if the file was emptied before the OS drive being moved then it
>> would be generated for the new hardware?
> Yep, that'll do it.  Just delete the file.  It'll make a new one, though
> the order it finds them on that first boot.  Note, however, if you need
> a particular NIC/plug to have a particular name, eth?, you can just edit
> the MAC address.
No, deleting the file just causes the interface initialisation to fail.
It did not rebuild the 70-persistent-net-rules file.
I am looking for a way to have this file generated or updated according
the the interfaces currently in the hardware that the OS drive is
plugged in to. It could be moved between several machines.