Ruminations on Udev, null and console

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 20:12:12 PST 2011

Simon Geard wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-02-25 at 22:11 +1300, Simon Geard wrote:
>> On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 11:24 -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>> What am I missing?  My latest only has
>>>
>>> $ ls /dev/disk
>>> by-id  by-path  by-uuid
>> Odd - I see those, and by-label too.  My main desktop is a little old
>> now (about ten months old, running udev 151), but I can't see them
>> dropping that feature. I'll have to try on an SVN build...
>
> Just checked, the by-label directory is also present on my SVN build
> running udev 166. I wonder if this is provided by the 'extras' which we
> disable in LFS due to dependencies, but which are present on my system
> due to reinstalling udev during BLFS.

I don't think 'extras' has anything to do with it.  It appears to be
done in rules/rules.d/60-persistent-storage.rules

ENV{ID_FS_USAGE}=="filesystem|other", ENV{ID_FS_LABEL_ENC}=="?*",
SYMLINK+="disk/by-label/$env{ID_FS_LABEL_ENC}"

When I do dumpe2ds /dev/sda1, I get:

Filesystem volume name:   <none>

I suspect you have to add -L volume-label to mke2fs (or other partition
formatting tool) for at least one partition for by-label to be created.

tune2fs can also be used to add a label to a partition, but I don't know
  if the udev would pick that up right away or if a reboot would be needed.