Ruminations on Udev, null and console

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Fri Feb 25 01:11:23 PST 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 11:24 -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> What am I missing?  My latest only has
>
> $ ls /dev/disk
> by-id  by-path  by-uuid

Odd - I see those, and by-label too.  My main desktop is a little old
now (about ten months old, running udev 151), but I can't see them
dropping that feature. I'll have to try on an SVN build...

> What do you get when you do something like 'df -h'?

That shows the real device, /dev/sda1, so I admit the symlink approach
isn't perfect. I mention it mostly in reply to Neal's assertion that
"symlinks may only be named with character sequences that are
incomprehensible to ordinary humans". Using the human-assigned volume
labels seems fairly friendly to me...

> Also, I like to see how my disk is organized.  I will do 'fdisk -l
> /dev/sda'  How would you do something like this?

Given that I only have the one disk, it's not too hard to remember that
it's /dev/sda. That said, Gnome Disk Utility provides a very good GUI
for that sort of thing - browse all storage devices, show partitioning,
format voumes, etc...

Simon.