Ruminations on Udev, null and console

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Wed Feb 23 02:00:35 PST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 18:44 -0600, alupu at verizon.net wrote:
>  Unaware, many people still carry a lot of old stuff (including
>  "console" and "null") on their "metal" /dev.

Not accidental. You should re-read "Preparing Virtual Kernel File
Systems" in the LFS book, specifically section 6.2.1 in the current
development version, which I quote here for reference:

        6.2.1. Creating Initial Device Nodes
        When the kernel boots the system, it requires the presence of a
        few device nodes, in particular the console and null devices.
        The device nodes will be created on the hard disk so that they
        are available before udevd has been started, and additionally
        when Linux is started with init=/bin/bash. Create the devices by
        running the following commands:

        mknod -m 600 $LFS/dev/console c 5 1
        mknod -m 666 $LFS/dev/null c 1 3

In short, those nodes are supposed to be there in /dev on the root
partition. If you don't have them, you've missed a step in the build.

Simon.