Ruminations on Udev, null and console

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Wed Feb 23 01:54:10 PST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 22:38 -0500, Neal Murphy wrote:
> [rant] Digressing a little, I have a bone to pick with Kay Seivers and Greg K-
> H. Their attitude is that only symlinks should be used in /dev and created
> from udev rules (for the most part), and those symlinks may only be named with
> character sequences that are incomprehensible to ordinary humans.[/rant]

Are you unaware then, that udev provides the /dev/disks/by-label
directory, which contains volume labels as symlinks to the kernel-named
devices? For example, my fstab file doesn't reference /dev/sda6 for
the /home partition - it uses /dev/disk/by-label/home instead.

Likewise, /boot is mounted as /dev/disk/by-label/boot and the swap
partition as /dev/disk/by-label/swap.

Simon.