A little more on Net-Tools

zzflop at embarqmail.com zzflop at embarqmail.com
Sun Feb 28 04:42:48 PST 2010

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:42:39AM -0800, brown wrap wrote:

> I did download the Fedora patches and patched net-tools and was able to compile it on Fedora-12:
>
> gcr at localhost ~]$ uname -ra
> Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.31.12-174.2.22.fc12.i686.PAE #1 SMP Fri Feb 19 19:10:04 UTC 2010 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
> [gcr at localhost ~]$
>

> But I took that same patched directory, tarred it up, and moved it to my LFS/BLFS and it failed. I would like the net-tools, but as I stated earliar I was trying to compile them now to test BIND. I guess for now, I'll skip the test and just install BIND.
>
> I did search the archives for discussion on net-tools and didn't find any recent articles.
>

> --

The test suite for bind can use iproute with the patch applied. I just
tried it without the optional Net-DNS-0.57 dependency and it skipped
the 2 tests dependent on Net-DNS-0.57 and passed the other 146.

I am unfamiliar with using CVS and don't have the program installed,
but out of curiosity went to the Berlios site mentioned and looked
for something like a daily snapshot on the SVN sites but didn't see
anything but a listing of the tree.

I have had problems with Net-Tools in the past, but this time around
the patches applied correctly and it compiled without error.

Inetutils has a version of ifconfig, and I used it when I had troubles
the Net-tools version.

Mike H.
-----