LFS-6.6 booting USB grub

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 25 15:57:05 PST 2010

On 25 February 2010 21:38, Baho Utot <baho-utot at columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> I have since found out that UUID and LABEL are a redhat twist.  THey
> require an initrd and nash.
> nash mounts the drives ( does the dirty work and passes the info to the
> kernel ).

Do you mean that (about UUID and LABEL), or perhaps you mean
"when booting from an external disk" ?

I've had LABEL= in the fstab on my server for about 2 years,
ever since I had to start using libata on that box.  No initrds,
no fedoras, and no substandard minimalist shells.

 Might not work on all filesystems, but should work for at
least ext{2,3,4} - set it in tune2fs or e2label.

 But for explanations of your inability to boot from an external
disk except by specifying /dev/sdXn I have no idea.  Are you
sure you set it to what you put in grub.conf ?

 If you were using "grub2" I would guess that using labels in
grub is not yet implemented:
http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.dist/browse_thread/thread/516ac0deccafb3af?pli=1

ĸen
--