LFS-6.6 booting USB grub

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Thu Feb 25 08:23:58 PST 2010

I would like to boot LFS-6.5 on USB

I have it working except that when I change from my desktop computer
which has 3 drives to my laptop that only has one drive I must edit grub
and change the kernel line to point to the prober /dev/sdx drive

I would like to boot grub on the USB drive and have it come up without
editing the kernel line for the drive

I have searched the web looking for fixes and tried using UUID and Labels.

I have used e2label to set the label on the USB drive to LFS-6.5

Here is what I tried ( The first entry works the other don't )

# Begin /boot/grub/menu.lst

# By default boot the first menu entry.
default 0

# Allow 30 seconds before booting the default.
timeout 30

# Use prettier colors.
color green/black light-green/black

# The first entry is for LFS.
title LFS 6.5-SDD1
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.30.2 root=/dev/sdd1 rootdelay=10

title LFS 6.5-UUID
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.30.2
root=UUID=6cb4887-1eb2-4180-9566-391a8b3f7b45 ro rootdelay=10

title LFS 6.5-LABEL
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.30.2 root=LABEL=LFS-6.5 ro rootdelay=10