LFS-6.5 8.3. Linux-2.6.30.2

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Tue Feb 23 23:50:31 PST 2010

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:54:35 -0500, Baho Utot <baho-utot at columbus.rr.com>
wrote:
> Ok thanks, I would have missed the SATA/IDE as modules, I did pickup on
> that it is a good thing to have ext2/3 built in.

The key thing is that modules aren't available until the root filesystem is
mounted. Therefore, anything that's required to get to that point cannot be
a module - specifically, the hardware drivers that allow it to see the
disk, and the filesystem driver that allows it to read the contents.
Practically anything else can be a module, but those things cannot be
(barring initramfs setups, which are very much an experts-only subject).

Simon.