LFS-6.5 8.3. Linux-2.6.30.2

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Tue Feb 23 02:34:41 PST 2010

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:58:56 -0500, Baho Utot <baho-utot at columbus.rr.com>
wrote:
> Yikes.....my hand done builds and my now scripts/Makefile/Build system
> worked so far!
>
> On i686 or x86_64 platform......
>
> I want to boot this from a USB thumb drive.
> Any pointers on what I need to set?

Since you're booting off USB storage, USB support needs to be built-in, not
compiled as a module. Conversely, anything relating to IDE/SATA support can
be made a module, since it's no longer needed to boot. Otherwise, a flash
drive should be fairly similar to any other system...

> Also is there a "generic" config file around for i686?
> Just the basic minimal needed, so I can add things as I go.

Not really. X86 hardware is so varied, there's no such thing as generic,
short of enabling every possible driver like the distros do. And that's
certainly not what you'd call minimal. The kernel defaults are as good a
starting point as any, but you'd still be spending half an hour or so going
through the menus, working out what's relevant to you and what isn't.

Simon.