LFS6.5 - 6.12 Binutils - No ptys

David Shaw dj.shaw at btconnect.com
Mon Feb 22 04:28:06 PST 2010

Another stumbling block, I'm afraid.

As the title says, when I issue the command

       expect -c "spawn ls"

I get the error saying that there are no more ptys.  I have tried
looking in the LFS hints, the Ubuntu forum and wiki and googling and
while I now know more about ptys than any sane person could possible
want to, I am no nearer working out how to get my system to produce more
of them.

As I understand it, Ubuntu uses /dev/ptmx as a Unix 98 'master clone'
and from this, creates the slave devices in /dev/pts/* - and this does,
indeed, happen automatically on the host system.  Clearly, in the chmod
LFS system, whatever does this in Ubuntu is missing at this point.

So, what do I do?  Can I manually create /dev/pts/pty* nodes?  Or do I
create BSD style /dev/pty* dev/tty* pairs?  Or what?  I am at a total
loss here.

Many thanks,

David Shaw