Still trying to bring up LFS, is there a network connection?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 15:33:42 PST 2010

brown wrap wrote:
> I have still not managed to log into my new LFS system. I believe the
> system is up, it gets all the way to the login prompt. I can see in
> sys.log that the root filesystem gets mounted and I created a swap
> partition that gets added. So I am still stuck with the USB not
> working. My question is, is the network active? I really can't tell.
> I see the network startup script, but don't find anything that starts
> up dhcp. If I could start up the network, I could at least log into
> it for another computer.

dhcp is not a part of LFS.  There is no reason you can't use a static IP
instead.   However, you can build dhcp from BLFS if you want.

You will need ot build openssl and openssh and start sshd from a boot
script to log in remotely.

Are you by any chance building this in a VM?  If so, which one?

The only time I've heard of anyone having problmes with usb are when the
drivers are not built into the kernel properly.