partition sizes

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Wed Feb 17 03:16:08 PST 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 23:10 +0000, aztec007 at comcast.net wrote:
> Based on this setup, is it possible to have /root and /boot on two
> separate drives (in my case '/root' was in #2, and '/boot' was on
> #1)?

Hang on, do you really mean '/root', i.e the root user's home directory?
Or do you mean the root filesystem, i.e '/'? There's little reason to
have a separate /root, since it should generally not have anything much
in it.

For what it's worth, my disk layout looks something like:

/dev/sda1
- /boot, 100Mb. Allows me to keep bootloader config independent of the
actual OS installs.

/dev/sda2
- swap, 2Gb.

/dev/sda3
/dev/sda5
- The root partitions of 2 LFS installations, both 30Gb. Basically, I
switch between them - one is the current stable desktop, the other is
free to do another LFS build on, which will eventually become the new
stable.

/dev/sda6
- /home, whatever's left of the drive, about 250Gb. Backed up
periodically to an external drive...

One observation for you - personal data is the only thing that's likely
to take up much space on modern disks, so don't bother allocating
hundreds of gigabytes to a partition that will only ever contain
installed apps. 20-30Gb is more than enough to create a full-featured
desktop...

Simon.