partition sizes

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 17:37:44 PST 2010

aztec007 at comcast.net wrote:
> Hey guys, I have a system with 3 separate Hard drives that I would
> like to know how to partition and I would like to know if there is
> anyone with any suggestions.
>
> There are currently three hard drives on my system:
>
> • #1 : 20 GB drive • #2 : 200 GB drive • #3 : 250 GB drive
>
> Based on this setup, is it possible to have /root and /boot on two
> separate drives

Yes it is.

> (in my case '/root' was in #2, and '/boot' was on
> #1)? The reason I ask is because I attempted to do an install using
> this scheme but it gave me error 17 or 15 ( one of them) so if anyone
> could offer any solution such that I can use HD #1 and #1 together in
> my Linux install would be great. And also, how big should '/root'
> paritition be considering that the drive I use for it is 200GBs,
> well, Thank you for all the help!!!

For LFS, I recommend the following:

/dev/sda1: /boot (100M)  Shared by all distros or LFS builds.

swap really depends on the amount of RAM and the speed of the system.
For instance, a system with 4G of RAM can probably get by with no swap
at all.  It would not hurt to put the swap partition on the fastest hard
drive that you have.  A default of 2-4G would be reasonable.

Where you put /root can depend on what version of GRUB you are using and
the type of interfaces the drives have.  GRUB Legacy in LFS 6.5 can run
into problems on some interfaces or drives.  I recommend using GRUB2 in
LFS 6.6.

I usually recommend 10G for / and use other partitions for other things.
  Common candidates for other partitions are:

/usr
/opt  (I use this)
/tmp
/home (and use this too)
/srv

I keep all my sources available across multiple builds by putting them
in a separate (50G) /usr/src partition, but that includes about 5 years
worth of BLFS files.