partition sizes

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 16 16:23:32 PST 2010

On 16 February 2010 23:10,  <aztec007 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hey guys, I have a system with 3 separate Hard drives that I would like to
> know how to partition and I would like to know if there is anyone with any
> suggestions.
>
> There are currently three hard drives on my system:
>
> #1 :     20 GB drive
> #2 :     200 GB drive
> #3 :     250 GB drive
>
> Based on this setup, is it possible to have /root and /boot on two separate
> drives (in my case '/root' was in #2, and '/boot' was on #1)? The reason I
> ask is because I attempted to do an install using this scheme but it gave me
> error 17 or 15 ( one of them) so if anyone could offer any solution such
> that I can use HD #1 and #1 together in my Linux install would be great. And
> also, how big should '/root' paritition be considering that the drive I use
> for it is 200GBs, well, Thank you for all the help!!!
>
> Joel

 If you are only using LFS, you'll do well to reserve
a partition for your *next* system.  If you think
you might still use a distro in the future, reserve
some space for that (and be aware that it might
mess with user and group numbers).

 I tend to use 5GB or less for a desktop system.
If you plan to build *all* of gnome, or *all* of kde,
that probably isn't enough space, but in my case
I'd probably put /boot (100MB is big), swap if any,
and 2 or 3 versions of '/' on the 20GB drive.

 The only things I put separately on a desktop
are /boot, swap, and /home.

 Pedantically, /sources in my case is an nfs mount
on my server, but for a single machine I'd put it in
/home, shared between systems. In my case, with
lots of old junk there, /sources uses 18GB.

 If you are only using LFS, you'll do well to reserve
a partition for your *next* system.

 If I was running a bloated system, I'd probably
set aside at least 10GB per system, so on the
200GB drive, and use the remainder of the 200GB
drive for /home.  Maybe use some of the 20GB
drive to build a rescue system (not much more than
straight LFS) in case one of the main systems gets
trashed.  The filesystems on the biggest disk could
then be mounted below /mnt or /media, or even in
~/ depending on what they contain and who is to
access them.

 There are no rules, but it's always a good idea
to think about how you are going to back up any
data that needs to be backed up, and how you
hope to recover from accidental rm -rf when you
are root in '/'.

 Worth thinking about the options, because
repartitioning is a real pain (even if you have
the important systems and data backed up).

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"