I compiled the kernel again, still no keyboard

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 16 15:03:14 PST 2010

On 16 February 2010 22:25, brown wrap <gramos at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I double checked and the usb stull was selected, and not as a module either. It was selected to be built in.
>
> What is operating at the time of the grub menu? I can select between the two entries, the default and the rescue, but neither works. What is running at that point? The keyboard works at that point.

 As soon as a kernel starts to boot, grub has done its work.
[ command-line options for the kernel, such as root=/dev/wherever,
might still be wrong, but that doesn't sound like the case here ]

 You need to look at what appears on the screen, and anything
that got written to the log, but mainly you need to get a config
which works.

 Starting from 2.6.18, a *lot* has changed in the kernel, and
'make oldconfig' might not make the required choices, even
if you have a working config from that old kernel.

 On the system I'm using at the moment (x86_64), I have the
following in the config -
#
# Input device support
#
CONFIG_INPUT=y
# CONFIG_INPUT_FF_MEMLESS is not set
CONFIG_INPUT_POLLDEV=y // off-hand, no idea about this

#
# Userland interfaces
#
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
# CONFIG_INPUT_JOYDEV is not set
CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=y
# CONFIG_INPUT_EVBUG is not set

#
# Input Device Drivers
#
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
# CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ADP5588 is not set
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y

and for usb
CONFIG_HID_SUPPORT=y // human input devices
CONFIG_HID=y
# CONFIG_HIDRAW is not set

#
# USB Input Devices
#
CONFIG_USB_HID=y

as well as
CONFIG_USB_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_HCD=y
CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_OHCI=y
CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_EHCI=y
CONFIG_USB=y
and all the main usb controllers:
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=y
CONFIG_USB_OHCI_LITTLE_ENDIAN=y
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD=y

 You probably need to look at your current
config in one session, and go through
'make menuconfig' in another - sometimes,
the help for the options is useful.
[ my choices are for a usb keyboard attached
to a kvm switch and from there to a PS/2
port ]

 There are *many* things that can go
wrong.  Your host system probably uses
modules.  Use lsmod to find out what is
loaded when you first login, and assume
all those things are needed (for LFS,
essentials such as filesystems and disk
devices need to be built in, not modules).

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"