Help compiling Gcc (chap. 5.5)
lfs at timothylegg.com
Sat Feb 13 21:06:20 PST 2010
First, thanks for creating this project. I have been looking for
something like this for some time now. I am eager to show people this
project once I get this to work for myself.
* I am using version 6.5 of the book
* All the software packages used are exact MD5SUM matches as in the book.
* I am preparing this on a 32-bit i686 machine, hosted with Debian Lenny.
* I have followed the instructions exactly as stated.
* Step 5.4.1 was completed successfully.
I unpacked mpfr and gmp and then created gcc-build to build gcc in. When
I try to 'configure' before compiling, it fails because "Building GCC
requires GMP 4.1+ and MPFR 2.3.2+". This is consistent with what I read
in Chapter 5.5.1, but I am not told what is to be done about it. I moved
the mpfr and gmp directories to gcc-build, and it still didn't see the
Should I compile them first? It never told me to do that though.
Or maybe it is because I might have been in the wrong directory. You see
the path here in this line is relative to the path given by 'pwd'.
tar -jxf ../mpfr-2.4.1.tar.bz2
I was never told which directory I was supposed to be in when I executed
this, but it might have been incorrect.
I am looking for ideas. It has been over 10 years since I have done this.
More information about the lfs-support