Booting problems again

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 13 11:21:10 PST 2010

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

[...]

> IMO, 750G is way too big for an LFS partition.  I store my BLFS sources
> on /usr/src which is a separate partition (50G, 50% full) and of course
> /home and /boot (100M) are separate so I can share them across multiple
> builds.  Some people have /tmp and /opt as separate partitions too.
>
> I've been using the same main system since 2005.  I have my LFS
> partition 8G (70% full) and really haven't had much problem with that.
> It does have most of BLFS built, but most of the bigger packages (kde,
> qt, mysql, gnome, etc) go on /opt (20G, 40% full).
>
> Multiple partitions give a lot more flexibility.  I make my newer LFS
> partitions 10G.

This is great information. While the info in the book is great,
and will build a "working" system, that is, one which can boot,
there is not much hand holding when it comes to how to set up
partitions, recommended minimum sizes, etc.

Ongoing system maintenance has a plethora of solutions, I'm sure,
but some suggestions, along with the considerations which entered
in behind them, would be very nice to have.

When I do a backup, I like to reboot to single user mode,
unmount all file systems and do fscks on them first, then
remount them ro. Of course, one cannot unmount /, so it simply
has to be remounted ro and checked. Only the partition destined
to hold the actual backup data gets mounted rw, and is not
part of the data which gets backed up, though it does get
checked before it gets mounted.

I have separate partitions for / (which contains the distro
maintained files), /usr/local (which contains the stuff I
install, and some of which is not under the control of the
package manager, though I've packaged up some of it), and
/home (for user data). The backup destination is on an external
USB hard disc. After the backup, I reboot to multiuser mode,
and split up the gzipped tarball on the external drive and
write the pieces to DVDs. I use a little script yackup
(search the web, it's around) which does this very nicely.

I think that a general maintenace helper guide, or even a
section in the book relating to that, giving considerations
which enter into philosophy of maintenance and how to go
about keeping a (B)LFS system up and running, like doing
upgrades without having to destroy the system or create
a new one or buy a new disc, would be very helpful to sysadmin
newbies like me.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.