Booting problems

Jan-Christoph Bornschlegel trollfood at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 12 23:50:01 PST 2010

brown wrap schrieb:
[...]
> So here is my question. If I move the external drive inside and make it the first drive, will I be able to boot, even though LFS is on the 2nd partiton? I don't want to, but I could move everyting over to the first partition, but I'd have to wipe it out, which I don't want to do.

First of all, does your machine support booting from an external device?
I tried booting from an external USB HDD, and failed miserably although
the mainboard claimed to support that. To have clarity here, test
booting with something on external drive which usually boots.

I have a working installation on a second _internal_ disk, but I didn't
reinstall the bootloader on first disk. Instead I followed the
instructions at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter08/grub.html in
the "Warning" box, and linked the boot entry via "chainloader".

The only minor obstacle for me was the broken naming: my disks were
called sda and hda instead of sda and sdb, due to a legacy driver for my
internal Promise TX133 PATA controller. When installing grub on sdb2 (in
my case) on the host system, it wrote sdb2 to /boot/grub/menu.lst, but
when booting the device should have been hda2. Can be fixed easily,
because you can enter the grub shell on boot and then use setup
(hd<TAB>) to see what devices are there. Then edit the entry
appropriately and have fun.

Cheers,
Jan